Aktios Elderly Care Unit operates in a suitably adapted three floor building with a garden in Agia Paraskevi. The unit uses the 2nd and 3rd floor. On the ground floor and the first floor the Aktios Alzheimer Unit is developed. The biggest advantage of the Unit is its central location, its spacious rooms, and the large common areas. Each floor of the Unit is around 680 square metres.
Aktios was inspired by the name of Aktios Apollon, who was in the Greek antiquity the God of light that gives life, the God- healer and protector of arts, who purifies and provides health.
Contact: You may contact us at Aktios’ Elderly Care Units for any issue that may concern yourself, a family person or a friend .You may also visit our facilities daily and weekends from 09:00 to 21:00 for direct information.
Common Areas Aktios eldery care unit has large and elegant common areas, a lounge and dining rooms on every floor, home cinema, occupation and recreation rooms, balconies, and a garden. Furthermore, there is a seminar room, a pharmacy room, a physiotherapy room with fitness equipment, a wii console, a library, a computer area and hairdressing room. All common areas and rooms of the Units are air-conditioned. Special adjustments can be made for people with disabilities.
The garden of Aktios is painted by our residents, our relatives and colleagues, and planted with herbs of the Greek countryside. It is safe and accessible to people with difficulty in mobility while the floor is slip resistant and resilient so as to limit the consequences of a fall and bring a sense of independence and autonomy in movement.
At Agia Paraskevi's facilities Internists are employed who visit the unit daily. A Neurologist visits individually the residents of the unit three times a week, free of charge and operates a Neurological Clinic for memory and behavior problems. Aktios collaborates with doctors of other specialties.
At Aktios are occupied three Psychologists, a Social Worker and two Physiotherapists full time and every year decades of volunteers-students of psychology, advisory, drama therapy and music therapy are trained. The Director and CEO of Aktios, Dr Costis Prouskas is a psychologist with a Masters degree (Msc) in Psychological Assessments in Organisations and a Doctorate degree (PhD) in Gerontology.
The psychosocial team of Aktios organizes groups of activities, exercise and mental empowerment daily. They also coordinate events and happenings and organise educational and training seminars as well as support groups for relatives. The psychosocial team of Aktios makes sure that the units will remain centres for quality care, entertainment, personal development and empowerment and not static institutions.
At Aktios there is a daily activities program for residents including:
- Cognitive training groups
- Creative activities
- Art Therapy (painting, clay works, collage, etc.)
- Reality Orientation, with newspaper reading and conversation
- Familiarity and experience with new technologies (internet, Wii, etc)
Groups of dance therapy, drama therapy, theatrical group and groups of exercises and games take place on a weekly basis.
Finally, every day, groups of 2 to 5 residents have the possibility of going out for coffee or dinner, visit a museum, theatre, going for a city walk, etc.
Aktios Elderly Care Unit has single, double and triple with a private bathroom, a balcony, TV, air condition, and telephone that connect to the reception and the nursing stations.
A nurse call system next to each bed helps contact the nurses' offices. Contacting the nurses can also be achieved with a simple lift of the handset. This can be accomplished even by patients in advanced stages of dementia, and it does not cause any difficulty to people with weak hearing or vision.
Bathrooms are also equipped with nurse call system.
Where we are:
- Coming from Mesogeion Avenue, heading for Athens, turn left at the first traffic lights permitted after the square of Agia Paraskevi. The road called Epirus Street. At number 17, about 100 meters from the Mesogeion Avenue, on your left is Aktios Elderly Care Unit (former My Home).
- Coming from Mesogeion Avenue, heading towards Agia Paraskevi, after the Nomismatokopio, you meet an EKO on your right. At the first traffic light after the EKO turn right, in Epirus Street and 100 meters on your left hand is Aktios Elderly Care Unit (former My Home).
- Coming from peripheral Hymettus towards Athens, the exit Y3 (Holargos - Agia Paraskevi). Turn left and after 50 meters you reach a gas station BP. There you turn right and follow the direction of the road for about 1500 meters. The road ends at Eleftherios Venizelos which, in the end, intersects perpendicularly Street Epirus. Turn right and at 50 meters is Aktios Elderly Care Unit.
- Metro and Suburban: Station Nomismatokopio:Aktios is about 800 meters from the station, heading towards Agia Paraskevi. Alternatively, from Nomismatokopio take buses B5, 407 and 406 and get off at the stop Tombra, on the continent street. 50 meters up on your left is Aktios Elderly Care Unit.
- Station Doukissis Plakentias: From Doukissis Plakentias take bus 407 and get off at the stop Tombra, on the street Ipeirou.50 meters up on your left is Aktios Elderly Care Unit.
- Bus: all buses serving the Agia Paraskevi: Tombra stop (after the Nomismatokopio).
- Itinerary B5: Larissa Station - Agia Paraskevi, Tombra station.
- Route 407: Nomismatokopio Station – Station Doukissis Plakentias , Tombra station.
- Route 406: Agia Paraskevi - Doukissis Plakentias Stop Tombra station.